A Spectacular Spin on Maui’s Famous Banana Bread
Affiliate Disclosure: We may earn money or products from companies or products mentioned here.
If loving Banana Bread is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. One…wait two, of my favorite things, aside from banana bread, are chocolate and black sesame.
I happened to have a container full of Black Sesame Powder and a bunch of brown bananas. It seemed fitting to fuse the two together. I typically like walnuts in banana bread, but also have friends who are allergic to nuts. Using black sesame adds a little nutty flavor without triggering a reaction for them.
Here’s my spin on Maui’s favorite quick bread and ful-filled’s recipe for Black Sesame Chocolate Banana Bread.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE + BLACK SESAME BANANA BREAD
A chocolatey take on Maui-style Banana Bread!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup muscovado sugar
- 1/3 cup black sesame powder
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1/4 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coarse demerera sugar reserved
- 3 tbs toasted black sesame seeds
- 1/2 banana slice optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 9″x5″ loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- In a stand mixer combine eggs, sugar and black sesame powder, followed by honey. Add bananas (you can pre-mash them if you prefer), oil, milk and vanilla, until combined.
- On low speed, slowly incorporate dry ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Hand mix mini chocolate chips into batter, then pour into baking pan.
- Top with banana slice, toasted black sesame seeds, and demerera sugar.
- Bake 60 minutes (depending on your oven) until center is fully cooked. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with a little salted butter (or coconut ice cream).
Fun Facts are Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S
- Bananas are considered a berry!
- Black sesame is rich in B vitamins, amino acids and minerals. They are also supposed to be great at keeping grey hair at bay
- Filled with antioxidants and in Traditional Chinese Medicine, black sesame is considered great for anti-aging
- My toddler loves this bread!
- I can’t believe we didn’t include banana bread in our list of 10 of the Most Instagram-Worthy Eats in Maui!